[Terrapreta] The Reason for Pottery Shards in Terra Preta.Re: Char and compost ( was Char made made underpressurized conditions? )

David Hirst .com david at davidhirst.com
Thu Apr 3 03:25:44 CDT 2008

I am enjoying this thread, and find it most enlightening. But it can be a difficult topic
in polite circles.

Does anybody have a reference to any anthropological research as to the latrine habits of
"natural" people living in small communities in jungles (or other terrain).

There is a Medieval house at the http://www.wealddown.co.uk/, where the toilet is a hole
over a heap, and I am sure the stories of garderobe hold true.

The vegetable solids of old cottage gardens in England are very fertile from many
generations of disposal of this.

In cities, Pepys complains about the occasion when the neighbours cellar was so full of
crap that it overflowed into his.

But I know little of what, for example, Australian aborigines do, or some of the people
of the Amazon, such as the Yanomami, or New Guinea. Or, indeed in Bangladesh.

It would seem to be relevant.

Cheers

David

David Hirst