[Terrapreta] The Reason for Pottery Shards in Terra Preta.Re: Char and compost ( was Char made made underpressurized conditions? )

AJH list at sylva.icuklive.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 03:52:25 CDT 2008

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:25:44 +0100, David Hirst .com wrote:

>In cities, Pepys complains about the occasion when the neighbours cellar was so full of
>crap that it overflowed into his.

Yet we know that "nightsoil" was a valuable commodity and taken down
the Thames to farmers in Suffolk and Essex prior to the Victorian
sewer system.

We also know that concentrated manures (from burning bones hence
"bonfire") were a lucrative concern in post Napoleonic times because
battlefield graves were raided for their bones.

AJH