[Terrapreta] The Reason for Pottery Shards in Terra Preta. Re: Char and compost ( was Char made made under pressurized conditions? )

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 11:25:18 CDT 2008

greg,

no problem.

i remain intrigued the the images of the clear layers, alternating pottery
and soil. I believe this way is the Bolivia segment of the documentary. I
speculate that it had to do with the architecture of mound-building. I have
no seen similar pics from the central Amazon  -- lots of pottery but no
layering.

yes, the studies say clay pots for cooking/food storage. But I have seen any
speculation about human wastes. Perhaps old pots? Something else? What?

personally, my questions keep returning to the overall ecological balance
more than to the challenge of knowing how to make terra preta. i'm sure that
they did not approach things as we "moderns" might analyze and
problem-solve. theirs' was a different mind-set -- quite sophisticated
ecologically -- that was able to create harmony between large population
density and the forest. i want to know about this. i speculate that their
ways might include even more "miracles" beyond terra preta.

for example, can you imagine long-term settlements of house-to-house for 20
or 30 miles along a tropical river and NO diseases? that's mind-boggling!
what else did these people know?

i say VIVA! to asking many more questions.

lou

--
http://lougold.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/visionshare/sets