[Terrapreta] The Reason for Pottery Shards in Terra Preta. Re: Char and compost ( was Char made made under pressurized conditions? )

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 3 10:54:33 CDT 2008

Mea Culpa.

I re-watched the show last night, and the terrain does vary.

OTOH we still don't know what the terrain is at the places where the pottery makes up a large percentage of the terra preta.

According to this article: http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/actaminerology
analyzed pottery show indications that they were used as cooking pots, so the slop pot theory does not exactly hold up.

I did find interesting that chem. analyst showed traces of feldspars ( which are normally based on the alkaline minerals Ca, Na, and K ), 3 different types of iron minerals, and traces of Ma, all in the ceramic it's self - and all of them are plant nutrients to one extent or another ( either a macro nutrient as in the case of Phosphate and Potassium, a micro nutrient as in the case of Calcium and Iron, or as trace element as in the case of Manganese and Sodium )

Now there are certain gravels made for aquarium use, that are based on fired clay that contains iron ( among other minerals for plant use ), and it's made and targeted for use with planted aquariums.    http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Flourite.html
Doesn't the mineral list bear a striking resemblance to the list of elements found in the pottery?

I still believe that the shards are refuse in nature as the expense of making decorated pottery just to break it, would be horrendous

Greg H.