[Terrapreta] The Reason for Pottery Shards in Terra Preta.

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 3 13:14:32 CDT 2008

I personally suspect that waste was flushed down river.    While they may not have been on the level of the Romans, there are indications from other areas ( the Andes and the savanna of Bolivia ) that ancient Americans knew how to work with water.

There is this intriguing thought, it could very well be, that TP sites, are  area's of river bottom that have uplifted.

I have no proof, but, I strongly suspect that water plays an important part as to the layer effect of the pottery shards.

I wonder if anyone has paid attention as to the orientation of the pottery shards - concave side up or down?    Concave side up would sink faster ( and a curved piece would most likely sink this way ), concave side down would resist the flow of water better, once it is on the bottom.

Greg H.