[Terrapreta] The Reason for Pottery Shards in Terra Preta.

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 14:52:30 CDT 2008

Greg,

I went back and closely watched the bbc video. The apparent layering is much
less clear than I had recalled and the site shown was from the central
Amazon, not Bolivia. That pretty much blows away my speculation that the
layers facilitated mound building.

I was intrigued by the depth of the presence of shards (many feet). This
suggests repeated applications on top of the fields, building to quite a
depth over time.  I think this was a human spreading rather than an action
of water (which would tend to separate soil and ceramic content). Geological
upheaval doesn't make sense because of the geological time line. This is
human application.

On balance, it looks a lot simpler than our speculations -- perhaps, just
put everything into the dump and then spread it around after sufficient
composting.

--
http://lougold.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/visionshare/sets