[Terrapreta] Chacoal soaked in sea water

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Apr 5 21:50:42 CDT 2008

Hi David,

I understand the value of sea minerals for plants.  Could soaking fresh charcoal in sea water add too much salt and raise the pH even more, making already alkaline charcoal more alkaline with the Sodium-Na+ ions?  As I understand soil inundated in seawater is too alkaline to have an effective CEC or to grow plants in well.  Can you do something to seawater used in charcoal to change that?  Or will you only dilute the salty charcoal in a large amount of soil?