[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 5 22:14:20 CDT 2008

In classic discovery, the forming of a hypothesis comes first;
checking for the evidence comes second.  Until one has a hypothesis,
one has no idea as to what evidence to look for.

But at this point, we do have a hypothesis: that pottery, besides
being used for food and water, was also used for human excreta
collection and storage.  Now we have to discover if any
archaeologists also had that idea and have checked for it in the
remains of the pottery unearthed.  (Just because pottery tested
positively for food, is no proof it wasn't also used for offal later
in its life as a used vessel.)

And if we can't find one such person, can we persuade one?  Mind you,
it will be difficult to persuade one to do so;  very few societies
are known for such an enlightened attitude to their excreta, anymore
than our own modern Western society which is very content to flush it
all down the toilet into the water table.

We won't have any idea whether the hypothesis can fly or flops until
an archaeologist tests for it.

Gerrit