[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Apr 5 23:02:04 CDT 2008

>But at this point, we do have a hypothesis: that pottery, besides being
used for food and water, was also used for human excreta collection and
storage.  Now we have to discover if any >archaeologists also had that idea
and have checked for it in the remains of the pottery unearthed.  (Just
because pottery tested positively for food, is no proof it wasn't also used
for offal later >in its life as a used vessel.)

Try the Cornell TP reading list:
http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/terra_preta/TerraPretareferences.
htm

Of more interest to me will be the upcoming book: Biochar for Environmental
Management:
Science and Technology
http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/biochar/Book/Biochar_book_publica
tion.htm