[Terrapreta] Farm Scale Batch Charcoal Furnace for Homestead or Farm

David Stewart dmhstewart at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 05:05:28 CDT 2008

I am wondering if there are any furnace manufacturers who are
interested in developing or modifying a gasification furnace to make
agrichar.  My interest runs to using wood as a biomass source (I am
located in the Northeast US) both for heat and for agrichar and
biogas.  My requirement for agrichar would be difficult to meet with a
55 gallon drum type of setup. The primary attribute of this furnace
would be to create the biochar in a chamber separate from the heat
creation chamber.  This would allow for easy extraction of biogas and
efficient use of the wood being burned in the combustion chamber when
not being used to heat the house... essentially diverting the unused
heat to the charring chamber.  This furnace would be a central
component of a larger scheme for my farm and would make charcoal
creation a daily part of my chores.  I discuss my farm plans at a
google group called terra preta and would welcome any contribution or
suggestion that someone might have on any of the topical areas.