[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Apr 6 15:11:58 CDT 2008

Hi Jim, Greg,

I think charcoal amendments into soil increasing organic activity and soil organic matter, which then increases CEC.  Plus things like kaolinite and maybe bentonite clays (even as pottery?) are a known CEC increasing amendment for soils.  CEC is basically the number negatively charged activation sites on molecules in the soil, which will attract, hold onto (temporarily) and deliver positively charged cations to plants as soluble ions.

Increasing organic matter in the soil is important for CEC, because organic matter (now decaying in soil) is full of both the cations needed for life and the molecular anions and anions sites to attract, hold, and deliver cations to/from.  When the molecular anions and anion sites that attract them are also in mineral elements of the soil, then the soil will hold these cations too and have them more available when the roots of plants come looking for the cations.

The mineral based CEC of soils outlasts the CEC of decaying organic matter put into those soils.  Compost provides a shock of fertility and some temporary increase in soil organic matter.  But it does not last, as the plants take up the nutrients and the plant organic decays, gases off, or dissolves into the soil, to become part of new plants or leaches or washes away.  Gravity and sunshine move nutrients around, too.
Decaying organic matter is sometimes the only source of nitrogen when a plant cannot fix nitrogen into the soil and it is the only kind of plant around.

CEC is the measure of the number of exchange sites.  These sites do somewhat act, I think, as "catalyst sites" for the exchange of soluble cations from organic matter and other nutrient additions to the soil into uptake by the roots of plants.