[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

Jim Joyner jimstoy at dtccom.net
Sun Apr 6 17:06:05 CDT 2008

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Clay pottery made from clay on the mountains!?  Maybe this could be
> found out, the origins and makeup of the pottery shards?  If it shows
> raw materials from multiple sources, then this could support a
> hypothesis that the Pre-Columbian people were trying to concentrate
> nutrients onto a site and with the addition of charcoal trying hold
> them onto that site.  Already we know they added nutrients in the form
> of fish bones (obviously not originally from the soil).  They may have
> realized that the combination of charcoal and nutrients leaves
> fertility that does not wash away.  A cooking fire in the rain that
> was left turned out to be a fountain of plant growth later.
Seam,

Hmmm . . . interesting idea. I still have a hard time believing the
shards themselves have much effect on the soil. But you may be
indicating an altogether unconsidered source(s) of nutrient -- and
concentrating scheme. That doesn't sound far fetched but it would take
such huge quantities if we are talking about clay. It is hard to
understand how they might have done it. I mean, they didn't have trucks,
not even horses (lamas?). It is possible that they had a lot of human
beings for such transport but even that seems uneconomical: to have all
your people walking to the mountains (or where ever) with baskets. It
would take a lot more calories than could be returned if the distance
traveled was lengthy at all. Still, an interesting idea.

Jim