[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Apr 6 16:20:03 CDT 2008

Hi Jim,

I think you are right about clays.  They are mostly aluminum silicates with some iron and feldspars and stuff, but not a lot of C HOPKINS CaFé Mgr plant nutrients in them.  They also do not impart that great of CEC, especially when added on top of existing clays.  I think the chemical role of the shards would be very limited, too.

I liked what Lou just mentioned about thinking about the shards as there for possibly a different reason.  Does fired pottery (like terra cotta) hold water better than clay mud?  Maybe pottery was a sponge?  Does it prevent run-off, unlike what the soil can do.  Maybe there is something in the shape of the sites which would point to a different use?