[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

Jim Joyner jimstoy at dtccom.net
Sun Apr 6 19:32:39 CDT 2008

Greg, Sean,

There's another peculiar characteristic of clay that can only be
addressed with calcium.

Clay will hold lots of water. Unfortunately that water is not available
to plants unless . . . What makes clay friable and the water in it
available is calcium/magnesium. Without sufficient calcium  (60 to 70%
of the base saturation is considered ideal) clay will not grow much of
anything even if nutrients are in the clay. I can't speak about char but
the same applies to humus in the soils. There are places in Ohio and
Indiana where they have muck soils (extreme high levels of OM/humus)
that require huge amounts of calcium to unlock nutrients and moisture.

I don't know, but I doubt that char changes these rules (ideal soil has
60-70% of base saturation is calcium; 12% magnesium; 2% potassium). If I
remember right, the Amazonian clays are acid which would indicate low in
potassium (Unlike bentonite that is very alkaline with lots of
potassium). Potassium is important but to much -- relative to calcium --
makes soil into brick, seals pond bottoms.

Jim