[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Apr 6 18:56:19 CDT 2008

Hi Jim,

I worked for just a short time on a vineyard in California, circa 1999.  The California Department of Agriculture people and the farm manager recommended gypsum applications right at the base of the vine rows, calcium sulfate dihydrate (CaSO4-2H2O), to improve water retention in the soil and improve the ability of the soil to deliver water to the vines.  I don't know how calcium improves the ability of soil to deliver water to plants, but that is what these people were trying to accomplish.