[Terrapreta] charcoal experiment 4/6/8

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Mon Apr 7 00:37:48 CDT 2008

TP reading list

I spent some time today looking at the status of my charcoal
treatments block study and its permutations with fertilizer, compost
and controls. We are now in the second season growing crops on these
plots and I expect to conduct this study for an additional 2 years at
least without further treatment other than a possible application of
urea applied during the growing season as is our practice at this
nursery. I will be conducting a complete soil analysis twice this
season again and after the May analysis data is in I will decide if
indeed a urea treatment is needed.

When we harvested last fall the blocks were  direct seeded with a
native shrub, Oemleria cerasiformis  or Indian Plum. Using a single
species from one end of the experimental beds to  the other will make
reading of the results easier. As our nursery propagates native plants
for restoration purposes I chose this indigenous shrub because it is
an  ecological indicator species for nitrogen rich soils. What
interests me most in this study is the fate of organic matter and soil
nitrogen in this sandy loam soil. Unfortunately my soil testing
service only looks at nitrate nitrogen and any nitrogen tied up in
soil biota as protein is not detected. Last fall soil nitrate was
essentially 0 but the soil was teeming with biomass. This spring the
analysis results will be interesting from this aspect and also to
compare soil OM to project startup last year.

When the seed went down I was having difficulties with the seeding
machine and it went down uneven. Too thick in some places and absent
or uneven in others. Next weekend we will be thinning and moving
seedlings to make the beds more uniform.

Here are a few images I took today, April 6, 2008. Early spring in the
Pacific Northwest of USA.

Overview of plots, taken with telephoto and they look compressed.
Stake spacing on plot stakes is 17 feet.

Here are Indian plum seedlings and weeds in our plot with lumpy
charcoal. Note that some of the larger pieces tended to float to the
surface. There was plenty of smaller size however when applied, shown
here at time of treatment setup.

Hereis the charcoal powder treatment set in contrast to above. Small
pieces of charcoal can be detected on surface and the soil is
noticeably darker.

Here is a close picture of charcoal lumps that appear to be breaking
up with natural weathering on the surface. I have also noticed this in
timber slash burn piles 2-3 years old shown here and am wondering if
this is because of frost action. I wondering if any list members who
have observed charcoal in the tropics have noticed this kind of
weathering?

Best wishes

Rich Haard, Bellingham, Washington