[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 15, Issue 14

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Apr 7 01:31:31 CDT 2008

Hi Nikolaus,

This is a truly interesting comment from a man possibly on or very near a site containing TP soil.

It is possible to let the original formation of Terra Preta spoil formation have been an accident, a result of some waste management practices.
Then still, we can wonder how Terra Preta soils work.  You report nutrient and organic matter imports onto "dumpster" sites.  Where does the concentrations and amounts of BC charcoal come into play.  Is there a dumpster the size of France in Amazonia that has black carbon and had organic matter from Pre-Columbian peoples garbage leavings?  What is the ratio of charcoal to organic matter and pottery that was found in those "dumpsters" of infantile Terra Preta soils?

We cannot make Terra Preta without trying to at least figure out what it is doing.  And, you might be right to assert that the origin of Terra Preta sites was corn-cob ass wipes and broken pottery in "dumpster" sites.  Whether that is the true origin of TP or not may or may not dictate how we might go about trying to make Terra Preta soils.  But the premise has some clues.  It suggests concentration, and compounding the effects of many soil amendment types; different nutrient inputs from organics, bones, pottery shards, charcoal, manures, plant wastes, and etc.

Perhaps the different inputs in the "dumpsters" came to play different roles in the formation and inter-workings of the Terra Preta soils?
Can we make another dumpster the size of France in Amazonia that eventually becomes highly productive Terra Preta soils?