[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 15, Issue 14

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Apr 7 18:44:56 CDT 2008

Hi Kevin,

Lately, I've been thinking that pottery shards in Terra Preta soils served mostly a mechanical purpose.  I think they were used to both drain the soil and prevent run off of nutrients.  The inclusion of pottery shards with charcoal in "Old Terra Preta" sites was either done as a soil amendment, to do something there with that soil, or maybe it was a coincidental, extraordinarily large pottery dump and they just repeated it (thinking it was part of the TP effect observed in that soil).

The scope of the projects (an area the size of France) suggests to me that it was really sort of an industrial soil remediation, involving large numbers of the population to manage the soils and the land.  There is evidence of elevated roads (which also you do not want to wash away) in Amazonia as well.  Fired pottery was likely some of the hardest, most water erosion resistant substances around.  Draining water or maintaining an elevated mound within an annual inundation would be easier in clay mud with lots of pottery shards around.  You might even be able to make a pile of them in a flowing river and build a bridge across that river.

Initial development of the idea that the mixture of wastes and charcoal made for better plant growth may have been inspired by observation of plant growth over old dump sites.  This seems plausible.  Maybe they just copied what they observed and pottery was incidental to the dump sites, so they put it in when they tried to build TP sites.  It seems that they then tried to repeat this TP phenomenon on a larger scale.  No TP site is naturally occurring?  All Terra Preta sites are synthetic?

I'm not sure the Amazon population then could have shit enough into enough chamber pots, and then broken them, in shatters, to make all the pottery shards found in all of the Terra Preta found in South America.  I suspect all of the broken fired pottery was used to hold all the soil from washing away.