[Terrapreta] Terra Preta los Indios?

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed Apr 9 00:10:39 CDT 2008

Dear Larry

Larry Williams wrote:
> Kevin-------For Terra Preta nova, I understand that we need to produce
> a very large amount of charcoal in a short period of time to change
> the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere.  The "nova" variation was
> suggested to market an old idea in a new context and to distinguish
> our individually created black earth from the process that created the
> Amazonian Black Earths (ABE).
OK.

> When you use the phrase, "Terra Preta los Indios", could you explain
> how you distinguish this phrase with Terra Preta de Indio? A literal
> translation is not what I am missing. What is the history of "Terra
> Preta los Indios"... the context? I am not sure who was the first to
> use this phrase so if you were not that person could the person who
> used it (coined it?) reply.

This was a mistake on my part. Wherever I used the phrase "Terra Preta
los Indios", I meant it to mean everything that was meant by the correct
phrase " Terra Preta de Indio". My apologies for any confusion my error
may have created.

> We do have some new members to this list that may be confused by these
> variants --------Larry

I feel  that there is a lot of looseness associated with the term "Black
Earth", in addition to my error. Firstly, it is very possible for a
"Black Earth" to be made naturally, in addition to being made by Man.
While some natural Black Earth soils are naturally fertile, (eg, the
Holland Marsh near Toronto, Ont), other natural Black Earth soils are
not (eg, those in Indiana.). Some classic Terra Preta Soils are very
fertile, while others seem to be "run down." Possibly the Terra Mulata
is a "run down Amazonian Dark Earth" which could have been upgraded to a
classic Terra Preta, with the addition of charcoal, shards, and the
appropriate nutrients.

There also seems to be considerable looseness in equating Organic Matter
with Black Carbon, and Char.

I think that many of us could indeed benefit from having the various
soil types more clearly defined.

Best wishes,

Kevin