[Terrapreta] sewage sludge

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Thu Apr 10 07:57:46 CDT 2008

Michael,

> Gerritt
>  At least heavy metal contamination in humans can be medically
> treated.
> Sydney Harbour fish and fishermen and their families are full of
> Chlorinated Hydrocarbons a left-over present from the US Giant Dow
> Corp and the Vietnam war.. These are not excreted and theirl ong
> tem effects are not fully known.Certainly they cause physiological
> mayhem in mammals such as seals.
>
> I am pretty sure it is illegal to dump industrial waste into the
> sewerage system here.

"Eastman Kodak, Monsanto, Dupont, ITT, Procter and Gamble, Sun
Chemical, Ciba-Geigy, Upjohn Co, James River Paper Co., 3M, the
garage down the street, your neighbor's paint shop, your toilet and
millions of other industries and households are connected to the
network of sewers that cover this nation.
The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, which sets the
regulations on hazardous wastes, excludes domestic sewage. If you
dump your hazardous waste into the nearest river, you are breaking
the law. If it is dumped in the sewer, you may be doing nothing
illegal. The EPA does not include so-called "transfers" of toxic
chemicals to sewer systems as an official "release" of a toxic
chemical into the environment (EPA 1996, Environmental Working
Group). The Clean Water Act does call for voluntary compliance by
some industries for pretreatment of their waste - but looking at the
Toxic Release Inventory numbers, it doesn't look like anyone is
paying much attention to what is going down the drain.

> http://www.riles.org/paper2.htm

Part of the difference between USA standards and that of the rest of
the industrialized world, might well be related to the fact that the
rest of us have universal health care.  This puts the onus for health
care on those governments and they are more careful about keeping
medical costs down.  Thus the rest of us have been more deprived of
our individual freedom to pollute!

Gerald