[Terrapreta] scored

Jim Joyner jimstoy at dtccom.net
Fri Apr 11 17:28:11 CDT 2008

Thanks Gerrit.

Basically, distilled alcohol is pure bacteria piss. So, obviously toxic.
They do wash the charcoal in water to get as much alcohol out of it as
they can. It was wet and still smelled of Jack Daniels when I got it.

I know from my time in the US Navy submarine force that we could
re-activate activated charcoal by heating it. I guess it will give up
the gases it has stored. It's not quite as effective as the original
charcoal but it still works quite good.

So, I reasoned that if I could heat the charcoal, I could get most of
the alcohol out of it. Alcohol is after all very volatile. After a few
days in the sun (and turning it), the smell has almost completely gone
away. So, within a month, unless someone has something that scares me
off, I'm going to turn it in. I figure the worst that can happen is that
the alcohol might slow the the ultimate process down. Alcohol is, after
all, organic.

Hey, maybe that's the is the missing ingredient for TP! Maybe the
Amazonian dumped all their unwanted alcohol on the charcoal (just kidding).

I read Phil suggestions but I'm not sure how applicable they are. The
carbon in charcoal is not likely to influence the c/n ratio; if it did,
it would not persist in the soil, become TP. Not sure how putting the
charcoal in compost changes anything. The composting I do is right in
the soil, so I have plenty of biological activity there, plenty of
nutrient.

I'm mixing it about 20-25% by volume (charcoal to soil). I'll do a soil
test immediately before tilling the charcoal in and immediately
afterwards, and then annually.

I do plan to plant the beds (9, 4'x14' beds) in legumes this summer
(probably, mostly soy. I cut them down when they are in bloom). Then I
will do a winter cover with rye/hairy or spring oats/crimson clover.
Depending on how it goes I'll consider cropping next spring. These are
permanent beds that I have recorded data for 27 years. I've got three
beds I'll use as controls. I'm guessing, I'll know by the looks of the
rye next spring how well it is doing (mine typically gets 6 to 7 feet high).

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Jim