[Terrapreta] scored

Philip Small psmall2008 at landprofile.com
Fri Apr 11 17:59:44 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Jim Joyner <jimstoy at dtccom.net> wrote:

> Thanks Gerrit.
>
> I read Phil suggestions but I'm not sure how applicable they are. The
> carbon in charcoal is not likely to influence the c/n ratio;

I was thinking of the carbon in the alcohol as the C in the C:N, especially
in view of short term supplies.  This drives both the short term oxygen
demand (from soil/compost organisms) and drives the short term demand for
nutrients due to increased microbial biomass in response to abundant food.
Maple syrup, gasoline, Jack: its all the same on the edge of the plume: fuel
for bug respiration, the fire in the belly of the soil. Don't keep up with
the oxygen deman and it makes the soil goes sour.  That's what killed JD's
shrubs: anaerobic soil conditions.