[Terrapreta] maybe controversial

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Apr 12 16:31:42 CDT 2008

Hi Lou,

I think it might be worthwhile to separate science from beliefs.  No scientists' that I know conduct themselves upon belief nearly as much as they use the Scientific Method.  This method is born almost as a way to operate sans belief.  The wisdom of scientists is not at issue either.  The IPCC scientists do not make policy (maybe some policy recommendations in there area of research).

Some will say the "Scientific Method" is flawed.  They are right.  In the realm of observable real world phenomenon, that are all measurable without the aid of the human belief system, I think that the "Scientific Method" serves mankind better than our beliefs.  I will suspend my belief and/or disbelief to use my 5 sense faculties, my mind, and my hands, to try and effect a change in what I observe happening in the world.  I think this makes me appear to be a "strong believer" in the validity of the "Scientific Method", though.

Hehe ... see, so can I use my belief as a tool, too?  To what end?  To try and convince anyone who disbelieves about the science that I think I understand?  Ahhhhh ... I can't do it ... no one cares what I believe!  I'd rather not discuss this in terms of beliefs.  I've got not problem with anyone's beliefs (unless of course they are into proselytizing and/or ramming it into my head).

I reject belief as a tool for climate scientists.