[Terrapreta] Fw: Terra Preta Future Goals?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Apr 14 17:59:29 CDT 2008

Hi Joe, others on the 'terrapreta' list,

I just said in another E-MAIL,

To offset total worldwide annual fossil carbon emissions of ~6.3 Gt yr-1 to the atmosphere now, using just charcoal-in-soil, would require the production of ~3.1 tons of charcoal to put into soil, using ~12 Gt yr-1 of biomass (3.67 [w/w CO2/C] * ~3.1 GT yr-1).  This 12 GT of biomass is out there, annually reproducing every year now (and decaying every year).

I repeat this because I want to talk about my math and analysis here.  I say 3.1 GT yr-1 of charcoal carbon from only ~12 Gt yr-1 of biomass can offset ~6.3 GT yr-1 of carbon in emissions.  But -3 + 6 != 0!.  If the annual growth biomass were left to decay, rather than be sequestered into soil, then it would have resulted in a net increase in atmospheric CO2.  Making charcoal from biomass prevents it 1st from decaying (that's a negative) and it can be sequestered into soil (that's another negative).

One ton of charcoal made from annual growth biomass every year is worth two tons of charcoal taken from the atmosphere every year.

Our job just got cut in half and/or our positive impact and time to effect benefits just got improved by a factor of two.