[Terrapreta] Earthen Kiln Conjecture

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 12:32:25 CDT 2008

Hi Sean

I do not know where you get your information from, but it would behoove you to read the various postings that I have made on this subject here and on my blog where I tackle every sub issue that I can.

I cannot think of anything more important than understanding how it was possible for the Indios with a stone age tool kit to produce biochar in the form of powdered carbon no less!  They clearly produced millions of tons while we so far have produced a few hundred pounds or so using drums and the like.  Obviously we are idiots.

And they did not do it by using much wood.  The little they used is still there to see and it is not much.  Charcoal does not powder itself without mechanical intervention.

You also continue to rant about methane production from such a kiln.  Firstly, if you attended your grade eleven chemistry class, you would have discovered that methane heads straight to the troposphere and is consumed there somewhat like tossing salt in the ocean.  In any event, most will be consumed by the chimney and if any actually escaped, one merely lights a match.

By the way, methane atmospheric signatures are not maintained over the oceans confirming the rapid removal of the methane to the troposphere.  Get off this hobby horse.

You also ask about sourcing corn stover.  You obviously know nothing about corn production.  Each acre of corn field will produce most of ten tons of corn stalks that must be pulled out and burned regardless releasing all the material as co2 back into the atmosphere.  Reducing these ten tons of corn stover to biochar is a small increase in the actual workload already necessary.  In fact one would expect the oldest man who no longer has the strength to pull stalks all day to do the packing meaning almost no diversion of labor.

This simple process sequesters at least a ton of carbon per acre each season  that it is used.  A mere fifteen seasons and you have over fifteen tons per acre.

Much more interesting however is the fact that this earthen kiln design will also tend to capture a lot of the heavier volatiles in the earthen shell so that we actually have a blend of combustion products mixed into the soil.  This is not as specific as producing pure activated charcoal but I think that having a wide range of such molecules maximizes the possibility of results.

And we need to properly study such a product, not an artificial one blended with only one type of carbon.

An industrial kiln design such as described in my blog will typically destroy all the volatiles and leave only the carbon.

Have a good day

bob