[Terrapreta] Earthen Kilns Conjecture

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 23:49:51 CDT 2008

Hi Sean

I do not know where you get your information from, but it would behoove you toread the various postings that I have made on this subject here and on my blogwhere I tackle every sub issue that I can.

I cannot think of anything more important than understanding how it waspossible for the Indios with a stone age tool kit to produce biochar in theform of powdered carbon no less!  They clearly produced millions of tonswhile we so far have produced a few hundred pounds or so using drums and thelike.  Obviously we are idiots.

And they did not do it by using much wood.  The little they used is stillthere to see and it is not much.  Charcoal does not powder itself withoutmechanical intervention.

You also continue to rant about methane production from such a kiln. Firstly, if you attended your grade eleven chemistry class, you would havediscovered that methane heads straight to the troposphere and is consumed theresomewhat like tossing salt in the ocean.  In any event, most will be consumedby the chimney and if any actually escaped, one merely lights a match.

By the way, methane atmospheric signatures are not maintained over the oceansconfirming the rapid removal of the methane to the troposphere.  Get offthis hobby horse.

You also ask about sourcing corn stover.  You obviously know nothing aboutcorn production.  Each acre of corn field will produce most of ten tons ofcorn stalks that must be pulled out and burned regardless releasing all thematerial as co2 back into the atmosphere.  Reducing these ten tons of cornstover to biochar is a small increase in the actual workload alreadynecessary.  In fact one would expect the oldest man who no longer has thestrength to pull stalks all day to do the packing meaning almost no diversionof labor.

This simple process sequesters at least a ton of carbon per acre eachseason  that it is used.  A mere fifteen seasons and you have overfifteen tons per acre.

Much more interesting however is the fact that this earthen kiln design willalso tend to capture a lot of the heavier volatiles in the earthen shell sothat we actually have a blend of combustion products mixed into the soil. This is not as specific as producing pure activated charcoal but I think thathaving a wide range of such molecules maximizes the possibility of results.

And we need to properly study such a product, not an artificial one blendedwith only one type of carbon.

An industrial kiln design such as also described in my blog will typically destroyall the volatiles and leave only the carbon.

Have a good day

bob