[Terrapreta] Earthen Kiln Conjecture

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 01:49:36 CDT 2008

Hi Joe

I also would like to see an industrial scale solution to the terra preta problem.  And I have investigated the various issues over in my blog over the past ten months.

The insurmountable problem is that feedstock must be both gathered and transported to a central processing facility.  Tom Miles tackled these costs in his postings rather well I thought.  Agricultural waste is insufficient to even be gathered for most crops with perhaps the exception of corn and bagasse, and wood waste will need an additional grinding phase after charcoaling to be usable in soil.

The so called byproducts fail to stand up either.  The principal portion is pyroligneous acid (if i spelled it right) which looks like a fuel oil but is not.  They are all better burned or mixed into the soil perhaps.  In any event they are certainly a distraction.

That forced me to retreat back to the farm where the principal business is gathering and processing at a short distance in the first place.  That left me with the farm based use of a simple kiln with a lot of ingenuity.  I posted on this back in June and July on my blog.  It is a little hard to visualize though.

For what it is worth, I have recently been presenting the technology as a solution for aspects of municipal waste handling.  No terra preta though as yet.

The problem is that we need to put one ton of biochar into an acre of land each year to have an impact.  Is this worth $1000 per ton?  And is it worth $15,000 per acre for a fully upgraded terra preta field?  Maybe I am missing some obscure fact of agricultural economics, but I do not think so.

The Earthen Kiln concept is essentially internally financed on subsistence farms, and the metal farm kiln needs to be cheap enough to do the job in the developed world.  That is why I am actually optimistic.

bob