[Terrapreta] Promoting biochar in an era of high food prices

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 20:53:39 CDT 2008

I can't see the need for pryolosis of anything but waste at this point in
time
Certainly that is the "marketing strategy" of BEST Energies, to sell their
units to Companies with large waste streams that would otherwise end up in
landfill- producing methane.

Pyrolysis is not a traditional incinerator. A good pyrolysis system captures
most everything gasses, water, energy, charcoal.
I guess one of the problems with getting TP and char accepted, is this
confusion with traditional burning of waste.

It is so counter-intuitive to think we can save a warming planet by burning
things.

Personally I would like to see all charcoal produced by pyrolysis. What
worries me is  home made bonfires made popular by our discussions of the
benefits of char in soil.
Michael B

On 17/04/2008, Ron Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net> wrote:

>  Michael and Michael:
>
>     Today Michael B. said re the potential for biochar (after supporting
> its use for increased food production): "*Yes not just productivity, but
> also the waste stream of our economies/societies being turned into
> energy/biofuel."*
> **
>     I agree with his statement on this additional value, need and
> potential for biochar - but believe we have a bigger hurdle in pyrolyzing
> Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) than for any other form of biomass.  No one
> wants an incinerator near them.  I do not recall discussion on this list on
> this ''negative reaction'' topic.
>
>     Mike Antal seems to have overcome this hurdle in at least Hawaii.
> Mike (or anyone else) - can you tell us more of your experiences in this
> area?  Any statistics or data on why pyrolysis rather than land-filling is a
> good idea overall?
>
>     For background purposes, I lived for several months in northern Sweden
> where one town (either Falun or Borlange) saved up (in plastic wrapped
> "bales") all its summertime (household and industrial both probably) refuse
> for combustion (not pyrolysis) for district heating during the winter.
> There was mandatory separation and recycling of everything possible - and
> presumably looking  especially for anything hazardous.
>
>     I can believe there are many European cities that are ready to try
> pyrolysis - but think it will have a tough path getting started in the US.
> Anyone able to offer a more positive view?  I am looking for data to try to
> push the idea where we can.  Where MSW combustion is already occurring,
> switching to pyrolysis should not be that hard.
>
> Ron
>

> MA/B

Michael the Archangel
How strange and sad for the species - have people forgotten that they can
always escape to the fairy dell and talk to the ducks?
-Leunig, 2008