[Terrapreta] Promoting biochar in an era of high food prices

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Thu Apr 17 21:26:12 CDT 2008

Hi Michael,

One would think that you could get charcoal certified for use in soil, if it were manufactured in a "Clean Charcoal" process.  You are right, I think, too that the more efficient and clean charcoal making processes will harvest more than just charcoal from the biomass feedstock, mainly charcoal, combustible gases (H2, CO, and CH4, C2H6, etc), heat, and some liquid fraction, perhaps.  The suspended , vaporous volatile matter is combustible, as well, and can be burned directly with the combustible gases.  Getting these other co-products from biomass, beyond charcoal, is what would, I think, make charcoal production more economical and viable.

For a long time ethanol plants have been selling dried distiller grains, the non-fermentable (proteins in the germ or kernel of the grains used in fermentation) fraction of the feedstock as food for cattle.  The anaerobic digesters, which harvest Methane-CH4 from decomposing animal feces and other waste biomass, produce the Methane-CH4 gas, heat, and another product (what is left over) that is used as animal bedding.

I do think that there will be pyrolysis processes (and perhaps other carbonization methods) that will harvest a great deal more from biomass then can be got from a smoldering pile of biomass in an open pit, open field, or a barrel.