[Terrapreta] sewage sludge charcoal

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Fri Apr 18 12:37:41 CDT 2008

Folke,

Understood. Importing feed and concentrating it in animal manure is just an
example of your HEAP process. We see thermal processing  as a means of
putting the nutrients in a form that can be economically transported back
out to where the feed is grown. By fractionating the P (from the K) we can
recycle it either as feed, in place of dicalcium phosphate which is commonly
used, or processed to a fertilizer which can also be transported out of the
area.

Biochar is interesting because it potentially puts the P and K in a form
that doesn’t have to be reprocessed for use as fertilizer. Once the char is
populated with the microorganisms they can do the job. But the biochar would
still have to be transported to the feed producing area.

Tom