[Terrapreta] Chardb and characterisation

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Apr 19 00:21:16 CDT 2008

Hi Rex,

ASTM 1762 - the "Proximate Analysis" test for Charcoal provides 4 types of information about charcoal samples: %moisture content, %volatile matter content, "%fixed Carbon" (%fC), and %ash.  It does not discern volatile matter composition or ash composition.  It DOES require a precision lab scale and some other lab equipment; grinder, muffle oven, muffle, furnace, crucibles, etc.  Along with things like, specified genus and species, maximum pyrolysis temperature, and residence time, I think charcoal can be fairly characterized in bulk.

Other information about charcoal-in-soil, I think, might better come from after it has been in soil that has been cropped (actually in-situ).  This would be observations about what effects there are on plants growing in the Teraa Preate soil under test.  This could be observations about the effects on the soil population of microorganisms, worms, and roots, etc. growing in the soil or things like SOM and CEC lab tests of the soil samples and maybe examinations of the plant weights, roots volumes, and leaf areas of the crops growing in TP soils, etc.