[Terrapreta] Carbon tax

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 19 10:57:19 CDT 2008

Interspaced in Blue.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Joyner
  To: Terra Preta
  Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 9:18
  Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] Carbon tax

  Greg and April wrote:
    And all I have been saying is that while it may be a laudable belief  -  it's not a practical one.

    Imagine a society where every person could bring suit against their government ( or portions there of ).
  Why do you keep inserting things I didn't say! I wasn't talking about suing the gov't. Talking about the ability to sue people or companies who pollute rivers, oceans, the air . . .

  I was just using it as an example.    It can be goverments, it can be copprerations it realy doesn't matter.    I used goverment, since there have been more cases of them using things like eminent domain to take property from one person to give it to another, and in that situation there is no equity at all.

    First one or more persons would sue for one grievance, then because that didn't match ideals of another group they would sue to change it back to the way it was.    It would be total mayhem, and the government would not be able to do anything without someone taking them to court.
  Yes, of course, why don't we just do away with the courts. then we won't have all the mayhem.
    In order for something like that to work, it would literally have to be a society where everyone marched in lock step - by choice.
  This is all nonsense. The system was and is morally and practically sound, has been for centuries. Still is where and when it is practiced. But I don't know what you are going on about. I'm not suggesting we will or even can change the legal system. I only suggested our legal system is increasing a political system of laws. The topic is the carbon tax/carbon credits, which I find inadvisable to participate in or to depend upon for any real benefit.

  All I'm saying is that for it to truly be equitable then you have to have a system in place that no bias can enter, a place were things like emotion, greed, and anything else can enter - and I do not think that can truly be done.

  Humans might come close occasionally, BUT, as a species, we are unable to shed all vestiges of emotion and elements that can induce a bias - and I have yet to see any system than can accomplish it.

  If you think that it is currently being practiced, please by all means tell me where, I might find it, for I would like to study the system that manages to accomplish no bias at all.