[Terrapreta] Food Shortages

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 15:34:15 CDT 2008

Hi Michael,

I can really relate and I've been at it a much shorter period of time.

I keep reminding myself that the existing agricultural industry in the top
twenty industrial nations receives public (governmental) subsidies of over
one billion USD *each day*. It's not just someone's idea that has been put
in place but a whole global economy based in large part on the availability
of cheap fossil fuels.

What is ending is NOT someone's bad idea that simply might be replaced by a
good idea. As the fossil fuel global economic structure reaches its limits,
and as the threat of GW is accepted as real, we will transition to a new
carbon economy. That's how TP will gain its economic meaning and the huge
incentives needed to change a global system. I'm afraid that, despite the
urgency of the global situation, the river of change cannot be pushed faster
than it is flowing. Strangely, I find that my own faith in TP is growing. I
perceive it now as a quite natural response to a quite natural problem (the
need to transcend limits). I know of nothing that seems to solve
simultaneously so many distinctly twentieth century problems.

But I'm sort of riding in one of the forward cars on the train of change --
along with wonderful people like you and others on this forum. We are
entering a tunnel of change and making a passage through darkness into a new
light. Please excuse my poetry but I really feel that it's a valid way to
describe our collective entry into the age of carbon. Let's not freak out
because it is dark. Indeed, that is exactly what terra preta is and it's
darkness holds the mystery and promise of a new beginning for all. Let's
just keep showing up and doing our work as best we can.

I send hugs and blessings,

lou