[Terrapreta] What fixed "acid rain" is what is working in the Kyoto Protocol

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Apr 22 20:43:26 CDT 2008

Hi Mary,

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPCC<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPCC> and http://ipcc.ch<http://ipcc.ch/> for descriptions about how trading in carbon credits is supposed to work.

  From: Mary Lehmann<mailto:mlehmann3 at austin.rr.com>
  To: Sean K. Barry<mailto:sean.barry at juno.com>
  Cc: terra pretta group<mailto:terrapreta at bioenergylists.org> ; Gerald Van Koeverden<mailto:vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca>
  Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:53 AM
  Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] What fixed "acid rain" is what is working in the Kyoto Protocol

  Sean,, I thought we paid low carbon emitters so that we could be high carbon emitters.  I really never did understand about carbon caps and credits.  Is there some article I can read that gets down to basics?  It always seemed to me that the people who owned the air commons were the public who had to breathe the air, so that emitting rights should be paid to them (us) but instead of selling them we could tear them up or use them ourselves if we are polluting, say by driving.  I.E. the whole thing seems a mish-mash of distributing ill-defined rights to big pollutors as if they owned the air commons by consent of the government.  Familiar.  Please clear up my confusion if you can.

  Mary