[Terrapreta] Earthen Kilns Conjecture

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 02:50:45 CDT 2008

These are good thoughts.  I just do not see the volume to compare with the fifteen percent content of a terra preta soil.  Usually black earth that I have seen is indicative of a hearth of some sort were fines would accumulate or be produced.

Certainly a field burn of corn or cassava waste could produce a large scorched patch of soil with some charcoaled organic matter.  However I have done exactly that with very dry hot burning brush.  The folks came from miles to check out the barn burning.  The air flow feeding the fire kept the soil cool enough to work with and walk on immediately.  And everything was turned to ash without any black soil.  The same must hold true for corn stover.

bob