[Terrapreta] Fwd: evil ethanol

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 10:13:27 CDT 2008

> 3.  Should Brazil sacrifice their potential economic gains from converting
> forestland to farmland?

Nope, it doesn't really work like that. The mega-farmers don't convert
forest to farm. They expand into pasture. Then the ranchers and loggers
(mostly illegal) take down more forest. And the speculators use fire to
facilitate land grabs. It triggered buy the increase in land values.

The better way -- which is being explored -- would be to link Brazil's
highly productive and efficient agriculture (for food and fuel) to some kind
of carbon credit supported soil improvement and carbon sequestration
strategy. There is a good article here:
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/042208A.shtml

> 4.  I don't think that sugarcane is 10 times as efficient as corn in
> producing ethanol, though it is more efficient.  I've read that the USA
> could import it from Brazil for less than it costs to produce from corn.
>  Why don't they?

I'm not completely confident in the 10x figure but there is general
agreement that cane is much, much more efficient than corn for ethanol.

Why isn't it imported? Because the US slaps a 54 cent per gallon tariff on
Brazilian ethanol in order to protect US farmers. This drives Brazil nuts.
Justifiably I think.

The basic point is that the so-called "efficient" agriculture of the US has
been supported by huge public subsidies and protective tariffs that drove
the global price down to where less subsidized farmers worldwide could no
longer compete. Perhaps that might change in the new era of shortages and
higher prices. Let's see.