[Terrapreta] Promoting biochar in an era of high food prices

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 01:13:55 CDT 2008

It is possible to make a very compelling argument that all waste streams should be heated to about 600 degrees which removes all the carbon.  The problem is that historic burning methods did not control the temperature producing lousy results.  So the perception is awful

Right now I can build an effective system for any urban waste stream that will only put CO2 into the atmosphere or better still the greenhouse next door.  The question is how to actually make a sustainable business out of it without incurring a massive public relations expense for every order.

The solution is great and cheap, it just needs a billion dollar ad campaign which will make it prohibitively expensive.  Which is why we did not build nuclear power reactors for thirty years or so.  What happened to good old American knowhow?

bob