[Terrapreta] Promoting biochar in an era of high food prices

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Thu Apr 24 01:33:45 CDT 2008

Hi Robert,

The wholesale effect of increased levels of CO2 on plant growth seems to be
assumed by many people. Some on this List have suggested that it's not as
simple as it seems; other conditions such as the availability of necessary
(micro)nutrients are also critical.

I would guess that most plant species are adapted to present levels of CO2
and huge spikes (such as pumping CO2-rich gas into a greenhouse) may not map
linearly onto increased  photosynthetic activity. Are there data that
support the value of significant increases of atmospheric CO2 for growth
stimulation? I wonder if we may need to consider all of the systems
affected, including the environmental requirements of soil microbes?

Mark