[Terrapreta] Ice-age anyone?

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sun Apr 27 13:45:12 CDT 2008

Dear Ron

Thank you for your professional and respectful reply.

As nearly as I can define my position, it would be as follows:

1: Global Warming and Global Cooling have always been with us
2: An episode of GW is always followed by an episode of GC, and vice versa.
3: We are in a period of GW now. (or at least, we have been at least
until very recently)
4: Recent temperature data seems to suggest a decrease in the rate of
rise of GW
5:The IPCC Report is termed "consensus science", rather than "science",
which means it is not  "science", and bet rather " a chosen belief."
6:  For me to "believe" or accept, or support the IPCC report,  most of
the objections being presented should be addressed in a reasonable and
rational manner.
7: There are Several aspects to the IPCC report that concern me:
    7:1 There is the basic temperature data on which the conclusions are
based. Some aspects of the data have been challenged.
    7:2 There are the models that have been used to interpret and
project results from the data. These have been questioned because of
non-transparency, and unavailability for independent review.
    7:3 The Report was prepared by an Editorial Board that reviewed the
work of various Scientists. There is concern that the actual work of the
Scientists has been modified, massaged, and smoothed out to make it more
Politically Acceptable, and as such, it does not necessarily reflect the
views of the Scientists whose Science it has chosen to accept..
    7:4 There are the dissenting Scientists, who seem to have been
dismissed from the Panel, rather than having their reasons for dissent
addressed.
    7:5 The Conclusions of the report basically credit the Activities of
Man as having brought on Global Warming. They do not seem to address the
fact that all GW is followed by Global Cooling, and vice versa, and that
a Global Warming Trend seems to have been started before the Industrial
Revolution, and the increased use of fossil carbon by Man.
    7:6 They make projections of the consequences of Mans Activities
from the present. They do not seem to acknowledge the possibility of
natural phenomena that could exaggerate or neutralize present trends.
8: The opposite of Global Warming is Global Cooling. History guarantees
that a period of Global Warming will be followed by a period of Global
Cooling. It is very important to Mankind that we know how far we are
away from a period of GC before we attempt to put the brakes on Global
Warming. This issue does not seem to have been addressed.
9: CO2 is a "Greenhouse Gas", as also is Water Vapor. The GHG effect of
water vapor is much greater than the GHG effect of CO2
10: The consequences of Global Cooling are far worse than the
consequences of Global Warming. Some are suggesting that we are now
entering a stage of Global Cooling. If this is indeed the case, then
perhaps we should be doing everything possible to increase the effect of
GW, to delay the onset of GC
11: Global Warming per se is perhaps not so much the problem as is
Global Climate Change
12: In this day and age very little information gotten from teh Internet
can be taken at face value. I certainly do not have the personal
resources to evaluate the quality of what is posted

In my opinion, there are these, and many other questions, loose ends,
and "non-sequitors" that make the IPCC Report and Recommendations
anything but a "slam-dunk" case to justify any particular course of
action at this point in time. The Report is being promoted with
messianic enthusiasm. Attempts are being made to put down dissent and
disagreement, rather than dealing with it out in the open. These would
seem to be the hallmarks of a Political Report to serve the interests of
a few.

As a consequence, I am leery of the IPCC Report and the course of action
it is advocating. A few people could have an opportunity to make alot of
money at the expense of the majority of Mankind.

So, thats where I am coming from. Ignorance, uncertainty, and doubt.
That is why I cannot support the IPCC Report at this time.

In my opinion, the discussion of GW, GC, the IPCC Report, etc, is
inappropriate for the Terra Preta List, in that there are other superior
forums and venues where such discussions would be very much more
appropriate. It distracts from the advancement of TP per se. Because
such discussions on this list are not the best way to advance the
widespread use of TP, I will cease participating in such discussions in
the future.

Best wishes,

Kevin