[Terrapreta] Strong warning against "simple" charcoal kilns

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Apr 28 08:19:02 CDT 2008

Hi Max,

I'd say that I would be surprised too, if Methane escaped that.  I don't know this for sure, but I do not think burning CO or H2 (or both) will produce that kind of temperature (1500C).  I thought Methane would burn at 1200C (But I could be wrong)?  I don't know if the temperature inside a piston of an internal combustion engine even reaches 1500C.  This is very hot.  How do did you measure this 1500C temperature?

The mechanism which will tell you if ALL of the fuel gases are being burned is called a "lambda sensor" or an oxygen sensor.  If it measures NO OXYGEN left in the exhaust gases, which can be at most 19% oxygen (NO BURNING), then there is still un-burned fuel gases in the fuel gas/air stream.  If there is any oxygen left (>0%), then there are no unburned full gases left.  Lambda sensors on the exhaust port are what are used to throttle the air/fuel mixture with modern internal combustion engines.

I think that the "holes" around the bottom of the outer barrel, which let in air, cannot "throttle" the air/fuel mixture.  By this, I mean if the fuel gas production goes up, then they do not introduce more air and vice versa.  I suppose it might be possible to maintain the temperature somehow, which would might maintain a specific air/fuel mixture, but still what temperature would you choose to guarantee complete combustion of the exiting "producer gas"?  Unless the production of gas is just right, then the holes will not allow enough oxygen to burn the entire fuel charge that is exiting between the rim of the inner barrel and the bottom of the outer barrel.