[Terrapreta] Strong warning against "simple" charcoal kilns

Mary Lehmann mlehmann3 at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 11:55:52 CDT 2008

The oxidation of carbon compounds (combustion or burning) is exactly
what gives off CO2 plus H2O, i.e. what happens when we eat food.
Food is our fuel whose shortage will, as predicted, hit us most
powerfully.  It is one reason to keep going on biochar.   It can
mitigate the hardships ahead.  Interestingly, a good number of people
have yet to decide whether mitigation is worth it.  The rest of us
should become knowledgeable about function and scale of equipment
that works --recycles the by-products of charring too, and then see
where to set up operating charring and report.  As I said, I believe
there is a lot of risk investment money available for existing
successful operations.

ML