[Terrapreta] marketing charcoal

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 1 23:49:53 CST 2008

Just discovered an astonishing niche market for charcoal - textiles.
On Alibaba, one can find a whole slew of companies marketing
'charcoal fiber yarn.'  They say that the core technologies concern
grinding the charcoal into nanometer-scale particles which are then
impregnated into cotton fibers...

	"Chen explained that the charcoal the MRL's technology utilizes is
made from the Makino bamboo, or Phyllostachys makinoi, carbonized at
2,800 degrees Celsius in traditional kilns. The core technologies
concern the processes for grinding the charcoal into nanometer-scale
particles and impregnating them in yarn.

         According to Chen, although the bamboo-charcoal yarn is
characterized by structural delicacy, it is nonetheless highly porous
and capable of absorbing large amounts of matter. The special
properties of the charcoal powder derive from its efficacy in
filtering large molecules and its ability to absorb body heat and
transform it into infrared radiation. Since the charcoal is
distributed inside fibers rather than on their surface, garments made
with bamboo-charcoal yarn can be washed repeatedly without
diminishing the efficacy of the carbon powder's special qualities.

	Cheng Seng-mei, president of Taiwan Paiho, pointed out that Nike
Inc. of the United States has designated bamboo-charcoal fiber as one
of the materials that it intends to incorporate in products to be
introduced this year. Adidas and Reebok are likewise evaluating its
applications, he said. Potentially, he opined, the global market for
bamboo-charcoal textile products is worth hundreds of millions of
dollars.

         Although the cost of textile products made with bamboo-
charcoal fiber is about 20 percent higher than that of ordinary
products, they will prove to be highly competitive, particularly in
the case of sports and health-related apparel, Cheng opined."

http://publish.gio.gov.tw/FCJ/past/05011482.html

Gerrit