[Terrapreta] marketing charcoal

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Feb 2 10:46:15 CST 2008

Gerrit,

It seems from the description that the quality of the charcoal is more like
activated carbon which is only a fraction of the yield of carbon. A plant
producing this charcoal would not also be making biochar.

You'll find  a number of these high-end - designer - charcoal products
including charcoal masks that make you feel good and pet deodorant. I wonder
if sales have borne out the (2005) projections in the article you cite.

Nike has a number of recyclable materials on their list they give to
designers. I have talked with their designers about reusing materials. How
do you calculate the carbon sequestration benefit of charcoal impregnated
tennis shoes?  At least it would remove the smell for awhile. Ground up
tennis shoes make a good soil amendment for athletic fields. But Nike turns
the soles into "Nike Grind" which they use to resurface basketball courts in
needy schools and play pads. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike_Grind J

Tom