[Terrapreta] Biochar in the Sahel?

Bakary Jatta bjatta at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 15:33:47 CST 2008

Dear Tom,

Thank you for this post. Good to find out what is happening in my area.

I saw the mention of char being incorporated in soil in Mali by an
organization working with women some time ago. It mentioned that this was to
be introduced in other West African countries, including Senegal and The
Gambia. However, I have not yet been able to find out the who or where in
the case of The Gambia.

 So far one neighbor has asked me to make a metal drum retort for him. He
has regularly been incinerating his biomass rubbish just to get rid of it.
Part of the 'rubbish' are his tree prunings, which will provide him with
charcoal for fuel purposes. Perhaps I will find some more converts after
him.

Warm regards,

Bakary Jatta

Bwiam village, Western Region