[Terrapreta] modified TPI Kiln

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Feb 5 11:50:15 CST 2008

Hi Duane,

I think nuclear energy is fine for the industrialized world to serve its voracious need for energy, but it will not remediate the climate or soil damage inflicted on the world by western societies.  Its in the third world, where electricity isn't really common, that making charcoal-in-soil and harvest bio-energy from biomass can make the biggest difference, I think.

I had a thought last night.  Using two of the (FAO/TPI) kilns, two people can make about ~20 tons of charcoal in a 5 day week.  If carbon is traded on the Carbon Exchange at, say, only, $10/ton, then two men, under the Kyoto Protocol could make $10,000 per year, if they made charcoal for use in soil, and were paid the $10/ton to do this.  They also could harvest the energy from about two thousand tons of biomass and sell that too.  This decentralized power and charcoal production by many would benefit the third world economically, by giving them jobs (important climate and soil remediation collier jobs), it would help them feed themselves better, and it would help the industrialized economies get rid of CO2 from the atmosphere.

Even if the average carbon footprint of a industrialized western world citizen is 10 tons a year, let's say, or even 20, paying $100-$200 per year would be all that would be required to rid the air of one's personally attributable CO2 emissions and 100 industrialized people could promote the economy of a village in the third world.

I believe the vast numbers of people in the world can be marshalled to the cause (with economic incentives and the chance for improved livelihoods for them and their families) and we could all participate in the finance of or the work of worldwide soil and atmospheric remediation.

Like I said last nice to Gerrit.  This is a grand plan.