[Terrapreta] modified TPI Kiln

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Feb 5 17:40:56 CST 2008

Hi Peter, Duane,

Thanks for those those comments to my posting.  I think Duane mentioned this or I saw it in a reference to something related to Computare;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jevons_paradox<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jevons_paradox>  ... that took a little while to find it.  (Aside, Duane, I am reading your latest paper now).
This economist reasoned, in the late 19th century, that conserving on the use of coal in England would not reduce the consumption of coal, nor abate the emissions problem they were having.  The argument was conservation reduces the cost of supply and prices.  At lower prices, demand goes up.  The volume of purchases not made then, in the name of conservation and reduced consumption, will be made up for in volume increases.  Total consumption will not reduce as a result of promoting conservation.  This is, I think, why all in the fossil fuel energy industry promote conservation.

Now, consider the consumer and their expenditures?  Conservation is a good bet for them, too (paradoxically).  Economically, in the short term anyways.  This reality of the way market forces of supply and demand will force this situation makes me think that the incentives to conserve on fossil fuel consumption in the early 21st century are really misguided.

The market for fossil fuel in the 21st century has a pollution problem in it, too, like the coal fire emissions of Jevons's time.  The market forces prevailed in that situation, anyway?  The only way for us to keep the market forces at bay with fossil fuel is to put another market force into play (join in, if you will).  I think incentives to produce carbon-for-soil and get energy from biomass sources (locally) is one real way to make the market of 6 billion people reduce fossil carbon consumption in search of energy.  We need to incentivize the use of bio-energy and the production of charcoal-for-soil to be the less expensive way to obtain energy for all 6 billion people.  We need to do this now.

The Kyoto Protocol kind of has the same problem solution structure as the "acid rain solution" and the "chloro-fluoro-carbon" problem solutions.  It puts the burden squarely on the producers to prevent emissions and/or to pay up until they do.  Plus, it brings remediatory effects from the changes in practices of the least wanting of people in the world to the neediest people in the world, sooner rather than later.
Carbon credits are only bought by industrialized large emissions producing countries and a paid only to developing countries.  If there is any business model or any plan to make Kyoto Protocol do anything at all, then it involves the people in third world countries.

Any biomass based carbon-in-soil (biosphere carbon stock) has greater value to this world than all of the fossil carbon stocks do right now.  But, that "biased" opinion is probably not held by head executives of oil companies, is it?  It would be great if the head executive of any oil company could see this and become a carbon-in-soil company head executive.  But, that too, is an unlikely.

So, change the world from another direction?  Oil company executives won't do it (they ride on the luxury of the having the reality of Jevons's Paradox to provide for themselves).  Maybe consumers and peasants could change the direction of things in this world energy market, though.  I think, that if 100 people in the industrialized world would invest 100 dollars each year, then they would collectively reduce atmospheric carbon levels directly every year, they could benefit the lives of many 100s of people on the other side of the world almost immediately and sustainably, and they could improve their own lives eventually, too.  This won't happen any other way, I almost think.