[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 13, Issue 6

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Tue Feb 5 23:44:23 CST 2008

Nikolaus - I do not agree with your view on the role of charcoal in
soil.

The latest issue of Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment has this
review of the role of charcoal in soil deposited by natural wildfire
events

Charcoal and carbon storage in forest soils of the Rocky Mountain
West  by TH DeLuca and GH Aplet

Front Ecol Environ 2008; 6(1): 18-24,doi:10.1890/070070

 From their review - rewritten by me. Citations for each point
excluded but available

charcoal increases soil water holding capacity and reduces bulk density
charcoal acts as a reservoir for alkaline metals and phosphate
provides sites for cation exchange capacity
gives soil darker color which influences warming

given above range of broad beneficial physical properties charcoal has
the potential to function as a surrogate for humus in temperate,
boreal and tropical soils that otherwise have limited organic matter.
< this is becoming evident in my own studies on low OM sandy soil>

and
For example revelations from studies of terra preta soils , ancient
agricultural soils amended with charcoal and manure , demonstrate that
charcoal can greatly influence soil productivity and ecosystem
diversity.

In addition to its porous structure (above) charcoal generally
exhibits hydrophobic properties that make it well suited to sorbtion
of organic compounds, such as root exudates, liter decomposition
products, microbial byproducts. Recently formed charcoal adsorbs
allelopathic phenolic compounds released by invasive species that
inhibit native plant seed germination in natural systems. <This
property may have broader implications>

Charcoals ability to adsorb root exudates and litter decomposition
products may be related to the stimulatory effect of charcoal on
nitrification in acetic conifer soils. < and what can we presume in
agricultural soils?>

Charcoals hydrophobic properties may also make it an important factor
in soil humus formation

Charcoal is highly resistant to decomposition and may have mean
residence times of 3000 to 12000 years compared to the mean residence
times of litter and twigs for mere months to dozens of years for large
woody stems.

It seems to me the role of charcoal in soil is way more complex than
any nutrients brought along into the soil on introduction and that
it's effect is cumulative as opposed to transient with fertilizer.
Simple application of fertilizer to me is the problem we think with
this terra preta phenomenon will mitigate for economic, resource
depletion and environmental impacts and factors.

I do not know why else I am here. We need to understand that the role
of charcoal in natural ecosystem soils and in agricultural cultivation
as this is an emerging field of science only now gaining recognition
as a potential best practice for farming. In forest management
charcoal deposition as a result of management practices is becoming a
factor in  timberland use thanks to Deluca et al's studies.

Very exciting times and too complex to reduce this issue down to a
simple bottom line cost based decision.

Rich