[Terrapreta] ammonia and charcoal

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 7 14:51:02 CST 2008

>> Could chemical interactions between ammonia and charcoal be the
>> initial key for how charcoal is gradually transformed into that
>> found in terra preta?

"Australian researchers have discovered a cheap and simple way to
make sheets of carbon just one atom thick.
Their finding has implications for a range of developments from solar
cells to bionic ears.
The sheets, known as graphene, normally stack together to make the
kind of graphite used in pencils.
But when separated, graphene sheets have extraordinary electronic,
thermal and mechanical characteristics, says Gordon Wallace from the
University of Wollongong in New South Whales, Australia.
"People have known that if you can separate sheets of graphene from
graphite you can get some pretty interesting properties," he explained.
Most researchers thought creating these sheets in a cost-effective
way was an insurmountable challenge, due to their strong tendency to
clump together. But in the journal Nature Nanotechnology this week,
Wallace's team shows stopping the sheets from aggregating is actually
a fairly simple matter.
The Australian team did not use chemical stabilizers to keep the
sheet apart. Instead, they used water with some ammonia added to
increase its pH value, making it more alkaline.
"It's actually a really simple discovery but with fairly significant
implications," Wallace said.
"It's a matter of understanding that simple chemistries can be
applied to graphite sheets."
Increasing the pH of the water raises the electrostatic charge on the
graphene sheets, he explained, making sure they repel one another
instead of clumping together.
This low cost approach raises the possibility that scientists could
produce large amounts of stable graphene that could be used in a
range of settings.
"The very unusual electronic properties of graphene sheets means they
could be used in solar cells or new battery technology," he said.
"Because of the biological affinity of carbon, they might also be
useful as electrodes for a range of medical bionic devices such as
cochlear implants."

>> http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/01/29/nanotech-carbon.html

Ammonia and water - being the main ingredients in urine - could
easily have been added to charcoal by native Amazonians.

It is apparent that ammonia changes the chemical nature of carbon
molecules.  To effect charcoal, it would need transform only the
innner pore surface area of the charcoal particle to dramatically
change its CEC, without affecting its overall physical structure.

This afternoon, I added a saturated solution of ammonium nitrate to
biochar to compare with a control of pure water mix.  Once I let it
sit for several days, I'll dry out the samples and then see if I can
see any difference in how they re-mix with water.

Unfortunately, I don't have any lab equipment to then test to see if
the CEC has changed.  I'm trying to think of simple tests I could do
to find out what, if any, properties have changed, for example:

a)  putting a large drop of water adjacent to the pile of char to see
how quickly the char sucks it up as a test to see whether its
hydrophobic properties have changed.

b)  using the two samples as a filter for various aqueous solutions
to see if there is any difference in what they filter out of them...

c)  any ideas?

Gerrit