[Terrapreta] [Gasification] new studies on GHG footprint ofbiofuels darkens the picture

Peter Read peter at read.org.nz
Thu Feb 7 22:13:20 CST 2008

Hi Lewis

A propos carbon effectiveness of biofuels versus petroleum, transportation fuels are only a fraction of the barrel and associated fuel oil gets burned too.   Nobody prospects for oil in order to sell fuel oil and if the transportation fractions are substituted for it is relatively easy to substitute for the fuel oil, e.g. with wood pellets, better home insulation, or whatever.  I doubt that co-produced fuel oil is taken into account in many of the negative analyses of biofuels that seem to be going about.  But obviously we must look forward to second generation biofuel technologies.  Does anyone have an up-to-date survey of where we stand with these?

A propos food versus fuel I have been preparing a brief for some parliamentarians here in New Zealand in relation to legislation for a biofuels obligation and have written:

"The rapid expansion of first generation biofuels in response to high price oil has led to competition for land and to raised food prices which have widely received a negative press.  This expansion has been based on large scale land clearance and monocultural cropping of oil palm, maize and sugar cane in the style of the industrialized agriculture of the green revolution.

Although high food prices impact on the urban poor, they bring welcome relief to the rural poor in developing countries, where agricultural producers have been excluded from export markets by the protection given to producers in industrialized countries.  And of course welcome prosperity to agricultural producers in the developed world that are exposed to world markets, including New Zealand, with dairying booming.

As with all economic adjustments, the transition process is painful for some and the extent to which losers should be eased through the transition, slowing the benefits of adjustment but reducing inequity, is a question of policy in different countries.  It is a transition that will see a shift in the rural-urban balance of employment opportunities, slowing and maybe reversing the drift from the land that underlies some of the social problems of developing countries.

But this adjustment issue should not detract from the reality that cheap food has resulted from a green revolution in which soil quality and quantity has been depleted by erosion and reduced soil carbon through monoculture production based on fossil fuel based inorganic fertilizers and polluting pest control methods.  Described as 'field hydroponics' these methods yield low quality food lacking in elements essential to good nutrition and are in any case unsustainable in relation to both dwindling oil supplies and greenhouse gas concerns as well as soil quality.  In brief, cheap food is bad food, nutritionally and environmentally."

Comments invited
Peter