[Terrapreta] Charcoal in soil

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sat Feb 9 19:43:19 CST 2008

Hello Nikolaus - I was wondering how you were polymerizing your urea
additive.

On Feb 9, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Nikolaus Foidl wrote:

> formalin you can reduce the volume of the fertilizer ( nitrogen
> polymer) by some 99% . You don't have to transport water over 70 km
> instead you transport 1% of the whole as a water insoluble solid
> ( polymer crystals with a high N content)

I wonder if formalin use to extract organic nitrogen from waste and
terra preta are not cross compatible concepts. We need to encourage
biological activity yet with formalin, a commonly used biocide,
denatures  proteins into forms that cannot be utilized by microbes.

 From Wikipedia  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde>

Formaldehyde preserves or fixes tissue or cells by irreversibly cross-
linking primary amino groups in proteins with other nearby nitrogen
atoms in protein or DNA through a -CH2- linkage.

Perhaps this is an issue to consider when interpreting your results of
charcoal additives in soils.

Also corn yields

200 bu of corn @ 56 lb/bu = 11200 lbs , average yields in Iowa 2006 is
166 bu/acre = 9,296 lb = 22,961 lb/ha = 10,436 kg/ ha .

Agreed then yield of 2000 kg per ha is considerably less in Steiners
research than intensive farming with maximum fertilizer input.
Comparing Steiners research to intensive agriculture yields may not be
comparing apples to apples. His work was on a randomized block study
where additives were used only once in the entire experiment duration
and comparision to other treatments not all corn farming is the
purpose of this experiment.

Rich H